Thursday, January 21, 2010

Author of "Love Story" Dies

picture from Foxnews.com

My first exposuer to this story was the 1970 movie of the same name. I am not old enough to have seen this when it first came out (I was born in 1980) so I watched it, if I remember correctly, on a cable channel or possibly Encore. I remember it being very sad, the music was moving (it won an Oscar for it's music) and the movie's most famous line "Love means never having to say your sorry" and these things have stuck with me for years. The Washington Post has a very nice article about it that you can read at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/19/AR2010011904354.html Mr. Segal has some interesting quotes about his fame and ego. There are also some interesting things about the reviews he had for this book. He was even denied tenure at Yale because of his "fame".

"You think you're invincible, you're infallible and that your star will shine forever, when in fact they'll be looking for somebody else next week." (Segal) This quote is very interesting if you look at it as Postman might have looked at it. In essence he's saying that just because your work is entertaining this week but by next week we'll need something new to keep us entertained. Which is interesting in itself since this is print media and not just about a movie that was also a book.

I'm still digesting this news, I'm always a little shocked when the people that have written things I love pass away.

No comments:

Post a Comment