Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Welcome to the mad house

I'm going to premise this first post with the statement "I have not blogged before and I don't write a journal or a diary" This is going to be a spot where I'll be keeping track of my media usage and anything else that has to do with modern popular culture that decides to jump in my brain.

For this first blog I'm going to talk about my discovery of Pandora Radio. If you don't know what Pandora Radio is, it's a music search tool where you start with an artist or song that you really like, then the search program kicks out other artists and songs that you might like based on your first choice. I should probably state that I used to be a DJ for an online radio station that's since gone by the wayside. I own A LOT of music and I've got a good couple of hours worth of my favorite artists in a playlist. Pandora Radio has shown me new artists that I haven't heard before most of whom are not on major labels. If anyone is interested in how it works you can go to http://www.pandora.com/mgp.shtml and read how they go about bringing you new music. I also found an interview with one of the creators of Pandora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c6KCDmEnt8 and what he has to say about music and how he wants to consume music. Also if you don't want to be tied to your computer and you have a blackberry or something like it, you can take the music with you. My question is does this accessibility to music stop you from truly enjoying it? or does it just pass from one ear to the other without stopping in between? I like to actively listen to music, I like to hear the nuances and understand the words that the artist is singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment