Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dehuminizing Commercial Campaign



We see commercials everyday (unless we're completely unplugged) and we might take a half second to think about what we just saw and say something like "I didn't like that" but we don't stop and take a critical look at all the commercials we see. I've had this thought more and more lately and the Old Navy commercials have been the icing on the cake of some of the worst commercials that I've seen. In the video above you see people trying to be as inhuman as possible (acting like plastic statues) to win a contest for money. I find this dehumanization greatly disturbing, not just to women (who are the majority in these commercials) but to people as a whole. So, first I'd like to answer a few questions that examine these commercials more closely. First Who is the author? Well, it's pretty clear that Old Navy is trying to sell clothing so we need to connect the mannequins to Old Navy. Does the Author have credibility? As a successful clothing line I'd say that covers their credibility. What is the ad trying to accomplish? This ad is trying to sell Old Navy clothing . Second; What is the simple message of the media? Old Navy is trying to sell clothing. What is the true message of the media? If a person does not have Old Navy clothing then that person isn't pretty. What ideologies or values does the piece of media invoke? To be a "Modlequine"(term used in the commercials) you have to be pretty and "plastic". How is the message presented? Mannequins are used in place of people to represent living people while living people are pretending to be mannequins. Third and finally; Who is the targeted audience? Women seem to be the intended audience, women who shop or would be inclined to shop at Old Navy. Is the media having the desired affect on the targeted audience? This is hard to know, the fact that the commercials are still running and haven't been pulled could be an indicator that they are working for the store, but for me this commercial line makes me less inclined to ever step foot in their stores. The last question asks if the desired message is coming across and whether there might be consequences for the receivers? I would say that if their message is coming across than there are consequences. What does the message of these commercials say about women to women? That they have to be skinny and perfect? or you'll never be skinny and perfect without Old Navy clothing? I say think about it for yourself, as for me? I'm not shopping at Old Navy. I don't like what they have to say.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I actually thought it was kind of funny, but I can see your point. We all know that commercials are trying to separate us from our $$, it's the HOW of doing it. This does switch human/plastic . . . even asks if you want to be plastic. (Plastic is also a term for credit cards if you want to deconstruct to that level. :-)

    ReplyDelete